Mrs. Giacchino’s English classes discussed leap day and leap year and then created a leap day time capsule.
After February 29, 2016, the next leap day will not happen again until 2020! Imagine how much you will have changed and grown by then. A fun way to track your changes over the next four years is to create a leap year time capsule. To create the perfect time capsule, students gathered a few things—a small sturdy box (or a big manila envelope), several pieces of paper, a pen, markers, and a few of their favorite items that could fit inside the box or envelope. They made a time capsule to open February 29, 2020. On a piece of paper, they wrote their name and that day’s date. They included the following information:
1. A picture of them and their family
2. Who is your favorite character from a book and why?
3. What are you most thankful for?
4. What is your favorite thing to do for fun?
5. Who is your best friend?
6. What is your favorite animal?
7. What is your favorite food?
8. What is the last book you read?
9. What is your favorite type of music?
10. What are four goals you have for your future?
11. Where do you see yourself living when you are grown up?
12. What do you want to be when you grow up and why?
13. Write a letter to your future self about where you hope to be in four years?
14. What is one piece of advice you want to give to your future self?
After students finished filling their box or envelope, they sealed it with a kiss and wrote a note on the surface saying, “Do NOT open until 2/29/2020.” They have to find a really good place to hide the box or envelope and make sure it’s in a place they won’t visit often so they do not get tempted to open it too soon. In four years, they are to open the box and read what they wrote. It will be interesting to see how much they have changed during that time!